IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity.
IEEE has its roots back in 1884 when electricity began to become a major influence in society.
Mission Statement To foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
Vision Statement To be essential to the global technical community and to technical professionals everywhere, and be universally recognized for the contributions of technology and of technical professionals in improving global conditions.
Core Values Trust, Growth and nurturing, Global Community building, Partnership, Service to Humanity and Integrity in Action.
IEEE has more than 417,000 members in more than 160 countries, out of which more than 120,000 are student members. IEEE also has 3,005 student branches at colleges and universities in 100 countries.
IEEE has 486 affinity groups such as Young Professionals (YP), Women in Engineering (WIE), Life Members (LM),among others. The 417,000 members are engineers, scientists and allied professionals whose technical interests are rooted in electrical and computer sciences, engineering and related disciplines.
IEEE currently has 4 student branches in Kenya:
1. Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST)
2. Moi University
3. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT)
4. University of Nairobi(UON)
IEEE MMUST Student Branch
In its service delivery, IEEE has a well trained staff, volunteers, student branch officials, faculty counselors and regional volunteers. The student activities committee, student service headquarters staff, student branch chapters, student branch affinity groups and faculty counselors are all committed to the success of the student program.
IEEE MMUST Student Branch draws its members mainly from technology and science related schools;
1. School of Engineering and Built Environment (SEBE)
2. School of Computing and Informatics (SCI)
3. School of Agriculture and, Veterinary, Science and Technology (SAVET)
4. School of Natural Sciences (SONAS)
5. School of Medicine (SOM)
School of Education (SEDU)- science option
The responsibility for Administering Branch operations is carried out by the Student Branch Executive Committee, Subcommittee Chairpersons and the Branch Counselor (Faculty Advisor).
Chairperson: Everlyn Asiko
Secretary: Stephen Okoko
Publicity Committee: Gladys Mumo
Programs Committee: Victor Temoi
Membership Dev: Charles Karanja
Some of the accomplishments and strategic plans of the Branch are:
1. Participating in engineering awareness programs.
2. Publishing Student Branch Newsletter.
3. Participating in IEEE Conferences.
4. Raising funds for charity and branch projects.
5. Organizing industrial field trips.
6. Designing a student branch website.
7. Scheduling speakers on technical and professional subjects.
8. Collaboration with other IEEE student branches and affinity groups.
The branch currently has more than 50 active members. As per IEEE constitution, members are to renew their membership annually to be considered active.
This Coming Sunday, 10th February 2019, IEEE MMUST Student Branch has organized a Technical Paper Writing Training. The Training will take place from 2pm to 4pm at LBB building. Members have free entry tickets while nonmembers will pay entry fee of Ksh 100(USD 0.9434).
Aspiring members will register thereafter.